If you are considering third-party payroll processing or are considering changing payroll providers, do you know the questions to ask a payroll company to make sure you get the best return on your investment? As with any service provider, no two payroll services are the same — and even if you do your research well, it does not guarantee a good fit. Talking to a payroll provider is the only way to ensure you get the right services at the right price.
If you are considering an outside payroll provider, there are a few questions you will want to ask:
- How customizable are your services? Of all the questions to ask a new payroll provider, this should be one of the first. Every business is different and you want to make sure you get the services you need for your industry, company size and specific concerns. If a service is not customizable, you may end up paying for services you do not need or you may end up having to “make do” without services, which could really make a big difference. Always ask for specific ways the provider can offer custom payroll accommodations.
- What services do you offer? Does the payroll provider offer direct deposit, payroll cards, employee self-service and other services? Are the services mobile? Get a sense of all services offered, not just the ones you need right now. This will give you a sense of whether you can grow with this provider as your needs change.
- How simple is your service to use? You do not want to spend considerable time and money on training and adopting a new process. Look for a service that’s simple to use right out of the box so you can start getting the benefits right away.
- How much integration do you offer? Does the payroll system integrate with HR and other important services? A system that integrates with HR, timekeeping and other services ensures you only have to enter data once for payroll and related processes to work.
- What is security like? If your payroll services will take place in the cloud, ask about encryption and the layers of protection being used to keep employee data and business information secure.
- What is your customer service like? If you have questions or problems, how easy is it to reach help? Is there a 24/7 phone number, an email system offering feedback and answers within a specific time frame or another system? Consider calling or contacting customer service before you even sign on to find out how pleasant, helpful and responsible that team is.
- What is your track record? Talk to past customers if possible and take a look at the company’s history. Is the company experienced in this field? Look for enthusiastic customers from businesses similar to yours and a strong history of growth.
Reviewing a Payroll Provider
Now that you know which questions to ask when changing payroll providers, do you need a customizable, scalable and business-focused payroll service provider? If so, contact BCM Payroll Services Inc. We offer customized payroll throughout South Central, Pennsylvania and Western Maryland to ensure you get the services you need and do not pay for features you don’t need. Contact us with your questions today — we’re ready to talk.